You can think of medical school as a really long preparation for the licensing examination.
Passing that exam is the ultimate goal for medical students. In America, the exam is known as the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). Saint James School of Medicine is doing a lot to ensure their graduates will be ready when they take the USMLE.
Why Students Fail USMLE Step 1
It would be an understatement to say that the USMLE is difficult. It is not enough for you to just pass it. If you want to get into the medical field of your choice, then you need to have really good scores on your USMLE Step 1.
It is also important to note that you will only get one shot at taking the exam. You cannot retake it if you get a low score on your initial attempt. That means you really have to be ready when you take the exam.
The common reasons why students fail the USMLE Step 1 are mostly preventable. Usually, they fail because of poor study habits and ill preparation, things that can be changed with the right guidance.
The USMLE Counselling Service
One of the latest services offered by Saint James School of Medicine to help their students is the USMLE Consulting Program. This program was introduced in December 2018 and is a service provided by medical school graduates.
The main objective of the program is to assist students who are having a hard time passing the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Examination (CBSE). It is also aimed toward those who want to get a high score on their USMLE Step 1.
Although the service is quite new, there are signs pointing to its effectiveness. The students who actively participated in the program and engaged with the counselors are showing encouraging results. Most of them are showing significant improvement when it comes to their NBME attempts.
Students who have completed the basic science curriculum and are studying for the USMLE Step 1 are encouraged to reach out to the counselors for guidance and advice.
Here are some important points about this program:
- The fee is fully refundable or will be removed from the bill once a student passes USMLE Step 1.
- This service is fully confidential and private. Students who participate in the program need not worry about their information being made public.
- The counselors work on a one-on-one basis with the participating students. They work with the specific NBME scores of the students to come up with personalized study plans and study schedules.
- The counselors act as mentors and help motivate the students through the whole board exam process.
- Counselors assist students in picking study resources that are ideal for them.
As you can see, this program is really geared toward helping students make it through the exams. The aim is not just for them to pass, but also for them to actually get good results because they know the lessons by heart.
For more information about the counseling program, you can send an e-mail to email@example.com, or you can call 1-847-375-9122 or 1-847-375-9172.
Faculty Spotlight: Jose Ramirez S., MD