Basic Sciences billing & refund policy
Late Fees, Basic Sciences
Late fees of up to $400 may be applied for tuition and fees that are not paid in full on or before the due date.
Students who default on payment may not register for classes. Official transcripts will not be issued until all dues have been paid in full. A $25 fee will be assessed for all returned payments.
Students transferring from another accredited institution may be eligible to receive credit for classes they have already completed. In some of these cases, this may lead to a transfer student completing their MD Program ahead of the scheduled semester. If this occurs, the student is expected to pay the full tuition and fees for their final semester if they attend that final semester for two weeks or more.
Tuition refunds, Basic Sciences
The following fees are non-refundable:
- Application fee
- Reservation fee
- Administrative surcharge
Refunds of tuition and fees will be determined by the accounting department as follows:
- First week of class: 80% refund
- Second week of class: 60% refund
- Third week of class: 40% refund
- Beyond the 3rd week: No refund
Prices subject to change without notice
Repeated course billing & refund policy
(Basic Science Program Only)
Students repeating coursework from a prior semester will be charged at a rate of $1,200 in Anguilla and $1,100 in St. Vincent per repeated course. Repeated course tuition charges will be billed with the billing cycle for the first semester following the actual semester the repeated coursework was taken. For example, a student who is repeating coursework from the spring semester will take the repeated coursework in the summer semester (SJSM has three semesters and three billing cycles per year; spring, summer, and fall). They will then be charged for the repeated coursework during the fall billing cycle.
Repeated course tuition charges will not alter the amount due on an invoice for a semester tuition charge, Basic Science tuition will not be pro-rated or cancelled because of repeated coursework.* If any tuition bill is not paid in full, repeated course students will be subject to late fees, blocked from attending all courses, and denied access to MySJSM.
Each and every student is charged a maximum of five Basic Science semester tuitions for the Basic Science program (there are five semesters in the Basic Science Program). The repeated course tuition charges are the only charges, related to tuition, a student may have to pay in addition to the five Basic Science semester tuition charges.
In the event a student withdraws, transfers, or is dismissed from SJSM, any Basic Science tuition or repeated course tuition paid for, but not yet consumed, will be refunded in 12 to 15 weeks.**
*An exception to this policy exists only for the final (Fifth) semester of Basic Science. If a student is billed for the fifth semester of Basic Science and payment of the fifth semester will result in two consecutive billing cycles without a semester’s worth of tuition due (Clinical semester or Basic semester), the finance department will cancel the tuition charge upon request by the student. The cancelled tuition will then be billed on the next regular billing cycle. The request must be made by the student and approved by the finance department before the due date of the invoice in question.
**Basic Science tuition and repeated course tuition is considered 100% consumed after the third week of class for any given semester. For more information on the Basic Science tuition refund policy please see the Basic Sciences billing & refund policy.
Clinical Sciences billing & refund policy
In order to complete the MD program, after five semesters of Basic Science, students are required to complete 5 semesters (80 weeks) of clinical rotations.
Tuition for Clinical Sciences is $9,150 for the full 16-week program. Tuition will be billed to the student and must be paid within the due dates specified on the tuition bill. Clinical Sciences tuition cannot be prorated and once begun, cannot be refunded. Cancellation policy is applied as described in the Clinical Rotations Cancellation Policy.
Clinical rotation weekly tuition is $571.88 and will be charged once every 16 weeks (i.e., once per semester), which is approximately every four months. Students are required to pre-pay at least 16 weeks and up to 32 weeks of tuition (tuition deposit)
Clinical Science Liability Insurance is charged in the first and fourth Clinical Science semesters. A late fee of up to $400 may be charged on late payments.
Service Charge for USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS certifications are as follows:
- $3,000 service charge regardless of the number of attempts.* (Applicable after the
sixth semester drop date. Sixth semester drop dates for all calendar years.)
– Spring billing cycle January 30th
– Summer billing cycle May 30th
– Fall billing cycle September 30th
* SJSM will cover the $3,000 service charge for all students who complete the entire
Clinical Science Program with SJSM
Administrative charges are included in tuition for students who complete the program. However, for the students who withdraw, transfer or are expelled before completion of the entire program, these charges will be deducted from the amount of their refund as indicated above, regardless of whether or not they passed the exam, and regardless of whether or not they took any rotations. If the student has insufficient tuition credit/deposit on his/her account to cover the applicable fees, no transcript or other requests will be processed until the balance is cleared.
1. The Clinical Science Liability Insurance Fee is non-refundable.
2. The late fee is non-refundable.
In the event of withdrawal, transfer or expulsion from SJSM prior to the completion of the MD program, a refund for the unused portion of the tuition will be issued. The refund will be calculated by subtracting the following from the amount of money paid towards tuition (or rotations):
- Number of rotation weeks completed, multiplied by tuition amount that is considered for the refund, divided by 16, and;
- Fees and other charges as explained above.
A late fee of up to $400 will be assessed towards students who fail to pay by the specified due date.
First late fee: within 5 days of the due date of the invoice.
Second late fee: after 30 days of the due date of the invoice.
Important Note: In the event of a past due balance, students will be limited in receiving services from the school, including access to NBME registration, library journals, transcripts, enrollment certificates, exam certifications etc.
Payment plans are available for students on a case by case basis. Eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Must be in good academic standing with the school
- Must not have defaulted on a payment plan previously
- Must have paid all previous tuition on time, without late fee
- Must comply with all the requirements of the payment plan
- Must apply for the payment plan before the due date of the invoice
Past due invoices cannot be put on a payment plan.
Note on non-refundable fees and charges:
- The Liability Insurance Fee is non-refundable once the bill becomes due.
- Late fees are non-refundable.
- Any testing or other fees that have not been paid for at the time of consumption are non-refundable and are deducted from the refund amount.
Note on outstanding loan balance:
- If the student has an outstanding loan balance with Delta Financial Solutions, his/her refund will first be applied towards their loan. Any remaining amount will be refunded to the student within the regular time frame noted below.
Please note that the issuance of the refund check takes an average of 12 to 15 weeks from the time the refund is approved by the school. Also note that refunds are issued in the form of a check, in U.S. Dollars and no other requests regarding this will be entertained.
Clinical Rotation Cancellation Policy
During the MD program students are required to complete 80 weeks of Clinical Science. The 80 weeks are to be completed as 48 weeks of core rotations and 32 weeks of elective rotations in the SJSM’s affiliated clinical facilities. Students must contact the Clinical Department in order to be scheduled and placed in clinical rotations. Certain documents are necessary for this process and need to be sent in to the Clinical Department. When all or some of these documents are received, the Clinical Department will schedule the student for the rotation, and notify the hospital and the student of the precise start date.
Rotation slots in US hospitals are highly competitive. As such, cancelling a scheduled rotation will result in one of the following outcomes:
- If a student cancels/reschedules a rotation for any reason within nine weeks of the start date of the rotation, a rotation cancellation fee of $500 plus any third party fees resulting from the cancellation. In certain exceptional cases, a student may cancel/reschedule a rotation up to nine weeks before the start of rotation if they provide a valid reason (sickness, death in the family, etc) that is approved by the Clinical Department. It is at the discretion of SJSM to determine and approve the validity of the reason for cancellation. If not approved, a rotation cancellation fee of $500 will be charged.
- In the event that the student cancels/reschedules the rotation with more than nine weeks’ notice with approval of the Clinical Department, a fee of $250 will be charged to the student’s account.