Saint James School of Medicine is an international medical school with two campuses on the Caribbean islands of Anguilla and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Our students study Basic Sciences at one of our Caribbean campuses then study Clinical Sciences through a clinical rotation program at affiliated hospitals in the US.
Saint James School of Medicine was founded in 1999 by a consortium of medical educators and physicians from universities and colleges in the United States and Europe. Hundreds of students have graduated from Saint James since the school was founded. We have a current enrollment of around 1,000 students.
The overall objective of the SJSM medical education program is to instill in students the essential and enduring knowledge, abilities (skills) and behaviors (values, attitudes, dispositions) that will effectively prepare them to enter and complete post-graduate training in the international healthcare environment. At the conclusion of their education, graduates will have a clinical knowledge base appropriate for first-year residents, will be well prepared to provide care to patients in both ambulatory and hospital settings, will be skilled in knowledge acquisition tools required for lifelong learning, will deal professionally with the ethical, legal, and economic realities of twenty-first century medicine and health care delivery systems, qualify for licensure, and be able to provide competent and compassionate medical care or pursue other careers such as research.
Another goal of SJSM is to assure students, parents, patients, postgraduate training directors, licensing authorities, government regulators, and society that its medical programs have met the commonly accepted standards for professional education and that they serve the public interest. Our program is designed to satisfy the competency requirements of professional and academic communities in the United States and internationally.
The mission of Saint James School of Medicine (SJSM) is to help motivated students realize their dream of a medical career irrespective of their ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds. We use innovative teaching methods to shape the minds and spirits of our students and to help transform them into compassionate healers of the human body and mind. Our students are trained to pursue their profession with confidence, balanced with humility and compassion.
TEN REASONS TO CHOOSE SAINT JAMES
- Receive the same high-quality medical education and opportunities as from US and Canadian medical schools, at 1/3 the cost
- Accredited by CAAM-HP, Recognized by Medical Council of Canada. Our medical school is listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools with an ECFMG® Sponsor Note. For the graduation years indicated in the Sponsor Note, our students and graduates are eligible to apply to ECFMG for ECFMG Certification and USMLE® as a step towards ECFMG Certification.
- We are the first Caribbean medical school to provide a USMLE Step 1 Pass Guarantee.
- Lowest tuition amongst all accredited medical schools, with tuition from $6,350 per semester
- Scholarships and Loan options available
- MCAT optional
- Three enrollment periods a year. Start your studies when you choose
- Low student-to-faculty ratio
- Core Clinical rotations are guaranteed at ACGME approved hospitals in the U.S. Rotations are also available in Canada.
- High match rate. Our graduates are currently working in U.S. and Canadian hospitals in a wide array of specialties. Please find a sample list of our residents SJSM Sample Residency List