Dr. Bruce Davidson was born and raised in London, where he lived for 27 years, then emigrated to South Africa where he lived for 32 years and raised a family. He got his PhD and developed a passion for research, which continued throughout his entire career, as well as his time at Saint James.
After his PhD, he taught biochemistry to medical and other students at Wits U in Johannesburg, until he joined the Saint James School of Medicine in 2009 where he worked his way up to Dean of Basic Sciences at SJSM. He moved to Anguilla in 2013 and was instrumental in setting up the campus in St. Vincent. He retired in early 2018 to live in Belize in a house that he built there with his own hands. He was so proud of it, but he postponed his retirement by a full semester because he wanted to help the Anguilla campus get back on its feet after the impact of Hurricane Irma in late 2017. With a passion for educating and research, Dr. Davidson had a long-lasting impact on SJSM
This scholarship is meant to reward and recognize students who have a potential to excel academically in the study of medicine. Students who meet the criteria listed below can apply for this scholarship before matriculation.
- Score of 495+ on MCAT taken within 36 months of anticipated start date.
Maintaining the Scholarship:
- Participation in at least one of the school’s clubs or Student Government Association (SGA) during the Basic Science.
- Meeting, or exceeding, the National Average Score in each of the NBME subject shelf examinations during the Basic and Clinical Sciences.
- Must maintain good academic and financial standing with the School.
If the student fails to meet all the required criteria to maintain the scholarship, the student will be placed on probation for one semester. Failure to meet the criteria while on probation will result in the student being dropped to the next scholarship tier of scholarship value (i.e. Provost Scholarship). Continual failure to meet the criteria to maintain the scholarship will result in revocation of scholarship. If the student is subjected to a disciplinary action and is found responsible by the Disciplinary Committee, student will automatically be removed from any scholarship.
- During Basic Sciences, student will receive a scholarship equivalent to a 50% discount on tuition for the duration of this portion of the program. Scholarship will exclude fees (i.e. NBME Fee, Development Fee, Maintenance Fee, Library Fee and Lab Fee).
- During Clinical Sciences, student will receive a fixed $1,000 scholarship per semester.
- All applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the Dr. Bruce Davidson Memorial Scholarship will be awarded the scholarship, so long as they submit the application and supporting documentation (Explained below).
Students who meet the criteria can apply for the scholarship by:
- Filling out a scholarship application form that can be found on our website.
- Submitting a 700-800 word essay on the topic of “Impact I plan to make as a medical doctor on my community.”
- Submitting your MCAT score report showing a minimum score of 495 and a test date within 36 months from your anticipated start date with SJSM.